How to help during the second wave of coronavirus
In August, thanks to Kto Pomôže Slovensku (tr. Who Will Help Slovakia) and Curaprox, we surveyed hospitals, surgeries, emergency services and non-governmental organisations. As many as 75% of respondents stated that they had secured protective equipment for at least two weeks. Most of the goods are available on the market. However, prices have risen significantly.
During the first wave, we struggled with the unavailability of protective equipment due to stopped supplies and low state reserves. So far, it turns out that in the second wave, we will be struggling with lower budgets to buy the necessary materials, and the economic impact of the pandemic. So how can we help during the second wave as effectively as possible?
1. Support the sectors and industries most at risk
The increase in the number of those infected brought further restrictions on cultural and sports events. Their organisers face an extremely difficult situation today. Now they also need our support.
Tip for you: Buy tickets to cultural performances or to the theater. Buy them also for your company’s employees and their acquaintances. When attending events, pay close attention to current measures and follow the rules.
2. Buy protective equipment and disinfection for organisations. Especially the equipment which is less available
Currently, the biggest demand is for gloves, respirators, face masks and protective clothing. Even though there are several suppliers on the market, higher prices and increased consumption significantly complicate the situation for more facilities and organisations.
Tip for you: You can find a list of needs in the Kto pomôže Slovensku (tr. Who Will Help Slovakia) application. We are more than happy to help you identify medical facilities and organisations which need material assistance the most.
3. Donate food, equipment, hygiene items and school supplies
People who have lost their income as a result of the crisis, as well as the aid organisations which work with these people, need your help.
You can donate food, hygiene items and school supplies. Through the Kto pomôže Slovensku (tr. Who Will Help Slovakia) application, the necessary help has already reached hundreds of families thanks to generous people and responsible companies such as Kaufland and Tesco.
Tip for you: In the application Kto pomôže Slovensku (tr. Who Will Help Slovakia), you can also search for organisations working with people in need who rely on the help of others. If you are a company, you can directly donate your products and discarded office equipment, such as computers for distance learning, to families who otherwise cannot afford it.
4. Help prevent the spread of coronavirus
Let us be considerate – this will also help us cope with this wave of the pandemic. Here are some simple tips for protecting yourself and others:
- Do not travel unless absolutely necessary. Monitor the situation closely before and during your stay. You can find all important information at korona.gov.sk.
- Avoid places where there are more people.
- If you have symptoms of the disease, limit contact with other people, especially those who are in a risk group.
- Don’t forget to disinfect at home and work.
- Wear a face mask. Do not touch it and handle it with rubber bands or strings when wearing it. Also, don’t forget to change, disinfect, and wash it regularly.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Do not touch your face, especially the eyes, nose and mouth, with unwashed hands.